Friday 4 October 2013

Mega Onion Rings!

The onion rings are so large!

A baked potato you can actually see!

Vege burger
We went to this place for a late lunch after spending most of the day at Sherwood Forest where they had all sorts of stuff going on. It was a small pub in a tiny town but had some tripadviser awards up which we took as a good sign. Apparently they had the best pub food in Nottinghamshire or something like that. Anyway we were lucky they gave us lunch since their kitchen was probably about to close!

They had a reasonable menu with a variety of things for vegetarians but nothing too exciting. I thought about getting soup until I heard it was carrot and coriander. I don't do coriander unless it is in Indian cooking! They also had a delicious sounding goats cheese salad but I thought I may have been too hungry for that so chose the baked potato with cheese and beans, and Quentin got the vegetarian burger which had aubergine, halloumi and a portobello mushroom I think.

The guy serving us was really nice and let us both try some beers because we didn't know what we wanted. Apparently we don't like the proper ales too much and prefer our beer to be properly cold, plus I definitely prefer a blonder beer.

Getting side tracked. So the food came and I have to say it had better presentation than pubs we have been to previously. Quentin's was served on a slate which is hilarious since we always make fun of people on food shows/other TV who serve things on slate. I don't think he was too impressed. My salad had some actually good dressing on it which was nice, and heaps of cheese which is always going to impress me. Also the potato was cooked well with a nice chewy skin which is definitely what I look for in a baked potato! Quentin's burger wasn't as large as the ones we are used to but it was really good, and so were the fries which I helped him to eat of course!

The onion rings were out of control! Definitely bigger than any I have seen before, probably bigger than any onion I have ever seen before! They were really good, if a bit greasy. I couldn't eat more than about three. Quentin put some in his burger as well which was a good addition.

Overall the food, service and ambiance etc was all good, and the food was good as well but not really adventurous or excellent. I will give them a 3.5 and would go back if nothing else in the little village looked good. I did a bit wish I had gone for the goats cheese salad because I think they would have done it well but maybe another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment