Sunday 22 September 2013

My kind of sushi

Making the sushi

Final product
We are moving out of our flat this weekend so I am trying to use up all the food we have in the house so I don't have to cart it all an hour across town! Today I made sushi for lunch to use up the sushi rice, avocado, soy sauce etc. I like making sushi because then I can have whatever I want in it and it is yum. Also easy, although it does take a little time to cook and cool the rice and organise all the things.

I almost always make my sushi the same, with tuna, avocado, cucumber and red capsicum. I also put finely chopped red onion in with the tuna and a little garlic mayo, and put black sesame seeds on the rice. Black sesame is so good with all things Asian.

I spread the rice really thinly on the nori (seaweed) because that is the most boring part. Then I put the black sesame all over the rice (not too much though!) and then put on the tuna mix. The veges go on top of that and then roll it up tightly and use some water to stick the end onto the roll. Let it sit for a few minutes so the nori can absorb some moisture because that makes it easier to roll.

I also make a salad to go with my sushi now after being inspired by the sushi chain here. I mix some edamame (which you can get frozen and deshelled) with some finely chopped cucumber and cabbage and then add some black sesame and use rice wine vinegar and soy sauce as a dressing. You can make the salad while you wait for the rice to cool and it gives the dressing time to get into the veges a bit.

I can't always eat the whole roll of sushi but you can always have the rest for a snack later, or feed it to Quentin! Sushi rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment