Sunday 22 September 2013

Dinner at the country pub near Maidstone

Homemade chips, you are the best!

Chilli non carne!
We arrived quite late at the place we were staying on Friday night but luckily there was a pub about 5-10 minutes walk down the road which looked promising so we headed down there. It was super tiny and cute, the roof was so low I could easily touch it and had to duck to go through the doorways! There were about 6 tables there for dinner and then some other seating area where the people who were drinking were sitting. It was like something out of Coronation Street, I'm pretty sure the whole village (about 15 people) were hanging out there.

They had a smallish menu but two vegetarian choices so Quentin and I decided to get both and share. They were vegetarian chilli con carne, which I had never tried, and a vegetarian lasagne. The service was very slow, maybe they only had like one cook or something and there were three other tables but we were starving when the food arrived!

Quentin said that he wasn't too impressed with the way the chilli con carne looked but we both agreed that it was really good. Tasty and filling and just the right amount of spice. It had some small beans in it which I hadn't seen before, they seemed like a cross between a bean and a lentil. They were yummy anyway.

The lasagne came with salad, peas and home made chips. We had been warned that the food could take a little while because the chef was busy cutting more chips! Anyway they were basically the best part of the meal, I love homemade chips! The peas were not great but I mixed some in with the chilli and that was tasty. The lasagne was good but I think I could make better. It was a perfect thing to eat on a cold and rainy evening though, the only thing was that it was slightly bland and could have been more tasty.

Overall I think I would give this place 3 out of 5 stars. It was better than average because the food was yummy, but there were a couple of things which could have been done better, and the service was very slow. I would maybe go back there if I was in the area but would be tempted to try somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment