Monday 9 September 2013

Borough Markets Deliciousness

Halloumi Burger

Vegetarian Thali
On Saturday we went to check out what was happening for the Thames Festival, and visit some food trucks that were meant to be at this park. We met up with Rory and Amanda and ended up walking around for ages trying to get across the river because the bridge was closed for a protest, then when we got to the park no food trucks! But anyway not the end of the world because we just went down the road to the Borough Markets where they have like a million food stalls and it is all super delish looking.

None of us were sure what we wanted so we walked around checking everything out. I got a bottle of wine from a stall and they opened it for me (cork) and gave me some plastic wine glasses, now that is service!

Quentin decided to get a Halloumi burger which he said was good but a bit too healthy because it had all sorts of veges mixed into the patty with the Halloumi, and also has grated carrot, beetroot etc in it. And he wasn't sure about the bun, I think it had too many seeds or something. I tasted the burger though and it was super delicious! Maybe just not what he wanted at the time.

I got a vegetarian thali which was rice with three kinds of curry, a dhal, a potato curry and a cauliflower and pea curry. They also put tamarind sauce and yoghurt sauce on top, as well as onions and coriander. Why did I let them put coriander on? I do not know. It is basically the devil! But anyway the curries were all really good, although the cauliflower one had a tad too much celery. Who even wants to eat celery, it is the worst! The potato one was my favourite (big surprise) but I love lentils as well. The tamarind gave it a good tang and sweetness and the onions and coriander added some good crunch and freshness. I totally couldn't eat it all but it was super yum.

Rory and Amanda got some chocolate brownies and some potato and cheese from this stall that had massive rounds of cheese cut in half that were going under the grill, then they just scraped off mass amounts of melted cheese to make cheese toasties or to go on potatoes. I tried a bit of theirs and I don't know why I didn't just get that, mine was really good but you can't beat potato and cheese! Also it came with cornichons which I love. I think next time we go there (hopefully soon) I will get the potato and cheese for sure.

Anyway overall I think I will give the Borough Markets food/drinks/service etc 4 out of 5 stars. They lose a star for not having seating, Quentin's burger being a bit too healthy, there being too much celery in one of my curries and they had run out of hot chocolate which Amanda wanted. It is super delicious there though and they basically have every kind of food you would want. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment