Sunday 22 September 2013

Dinner in Battle!

 

There is actually a baked potato under there somewhere!

Delicious vege burger!

We stayed a night in Battle which is near Hastings and is the where the Battle of Hastings took place. We were staying at a crazy old hotel with a massive spiral staircase and all sorts of weird art up (including some by Chris Simpson.. doesn't look like his usual work!). They had an attached Italian restaurant but we decided to go to the pub down the road which looked good. Little did we know that everyone in Battle was about to go there to do shots!
 
The menu was pretty big, they had all sorts of mains as well as specials and what were meant to be smaller meals but totally weren't! I ordered a baked potato with chargrilled vegetables and mozzarella and Quentin ordered the vegetarian burger. The meals were enormous but I would say that presentation was not their strong point!
 
I had to get an extra plate because there was so much food on my plate I couldn't get into it without it going everywhere! The baked potato was really good, super soft inside and with a good sort of crunchy/chewy outside which I love. Usually if we have baked potatoes I get to eat the skin from Quentin's as well and he has the insides. The outside is better. The vegetables on it were roasted capsicum, aubergine and zucchini. I am not a huge fan of aubergine so I left some of that but there was so much I wouldn't have been able to finish it anyway, I think I only ate about half of my potato! There was tonnes of cheese on it as well so it was super delicious.
Quentin's burger was massive, it had all sorts of stuff inside it, plus about three vege patties! The wedges were good as well but would have been better with some sour cream or sweet chilli sauce. The coleslaw wasn't great but I don't like the coleslaw over here anyway, they put way too much mayo on it so it is basically half mayo, half vegetable. The burger was really good as well, I had a bit of it. Quentin didn't finish his dinner either so we both failed.
 
I will give these guys 3.5 out of 5 for their effort. The food tasted really good but it wasn't anything super exciting. The presentation could definitely have been better but the service was good although we did have to wait awhile for our food. It was Saturday night though so I don't really blame them.
 
Also the bar was cute and had all sorts of old photos of the town and random stuff to look at. Oh also on Wednesdays they have a steak night and you can get all the normal kinds of steaks but then also you can get kangaroo, crocodile, bison or zebra! I did not know you were allowed to eat zebras! Also I definitely wouldn't but it was still interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment