Thursday 29 August 2013

Germany

German wrap and potato
I didn't know what to think about German food before we arrived in Germany, I knew that they ate a lot of sausage and sauerkraut (which I never got to try) but that was about it! This was something totally different but totally delicious that we got at a campsite we stayed at next to a lake. It was a beautiful place to stay and they had a restaurant and a takeaway/shop on the side of the lake.

We didn't know what we were ordering really because the menu was in German but like most places they had a few words in English so we had a slight idea. Quentin got some sort of German pizza which was tasty but more like a wrap cooked with stuff on top.

This was a wrap which had been grilled, potato, and the sauce reminded me of a raita although I'm sure they have a proper name for it in German. The wrap had something I suspect was chicken inside but also some peppers, chilies and other vegetables (cabbage etc) and it was really good. There was no way I was finishing it but Quentin helped a bit.

The highlight for me (no surprises) was the potato. They don't look like much but they were so good. They didn't taste oily or anything at all, they actually tasted like potato! And they were really good with the sauce.

For some reason I noticed all the food in Germany came with a sprinkling of dried herbs, I'm not sure what that is about, decoration or flavour, but in this case it was oregano. I don't think it was necessary but it wasn't bad either. Overall it was a delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment