Sunday 1 December 2013

Lunch at the Prince of Wales in Putney

Beautiful Food!
On Monday our Finance team went out to lunch because we had a new intern starting and it was also his birthday. We went to the Prince of Wales because our new intern wanted to try fish and chips and apparently is the place to go for fish and chips in Putney. It has really good ratings online which was a good sign, and my workmates all seemed to like it as well.

It smelt a bit weird when we first walked in, like a bit musty maybe which wasn't great but after a few minutes I didn't notice anymore. They change their menu most days I think, but have some things which are always on there like the fish and chips. There was only one vegetarian option and it didn't sound that good since the main ingredient was celeriac which I don't think I like. There was a fish dish so I went for that even though I would have preferred to have something vegetarian.

The fish was sea trout which I hadn't tried before, which came with a cauliflower puree, poached egg, fried potatoes with almonds and spinach and the fish over top with a crispy skin. The fish was nice, it was a similar colour to salmon and the crispy skin was pretty good. The potatoes, poached egg and cauliflower puree were the best parts for me though! If they had just had that for a meal instead of adding the fish as well it would have still been awesome.

The food was so nicely presented, not only mine but all the food people ordered. I think I was the only person who didn't order the fish and chips or the burger and both looked amazing. The burger looked so good it made me wish that I ate meat! The fish and chips were huge and apparently really good. I got to try one of the chips and they were quite delicious!

I was happy with my food but would have been happier if there was at least one more vegetarian option. I think if I was going to go back I would have to check before going that they had a vegetarian option I could eat so as not to have to have fish again. It is a shame they don't have more vegetarian options because the food is so beautifully presented and delicious.

I would give them a 3.5 out of 5 because they didn't have much choice but the food I did get was really nice. It is a bit expensive and the service wasn't great, none of us were asked if we wanted drinks other than wine (which we didn't want on a Monday lunch time!) and my food came a good 5-10 minutes after everyone else's. I might go back for lunch or dinner since it is so close to work but would check the menu first.

No comments:

Post a Comment